Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Blog # 1

Does media in todays society give a negative outlook on law enforcement?

My research question is, does media in todays society give a negative outlook on law enforcement? This question intrigues me for multiple reasons, ask your self, any time when your watching the news or looking on social media, when law enforcement is brought into the picture is it negative? This question in particular is important to me because becoming a police officer is something I consider as a career choice. In order for myself to be successful in this, I must look and understand this better. Does media look at negative events as "better" news? Do they consider bringing positive situations to attention? Does media differ in different places? Does media take a different outlook on what's being shown that we are unaware of? These are questions to keep in mind. I plan to do my research online, looking in news paper articles, blogs and online library databases. What is the view of someone who is in law enforcement today? Has media changed between now and many years ago? Does this affect their image with family and friends? With all of this to consider keep in mind a police officer to some people, is one of the most hated professions out there.
  While being a police officer is a hard and stress full job, requiring making decisions in a short amount of time that could impact a persons life greatly. They are people just like all of us, ultimately to enforce the law, to serve the community, to protect our families. I am not arguing that every single officer in society has done the right thing or made the right decisions. But when one makes a bad decision, its almost as if media labels all of them the same. Is it easier for a news station to write up a story about how a police officer used police brutality compared to a story about an officer rescuing someone from an accident, or an active shooting? 
These are some of the questions I hope to answer in my research and to help better understand if media should be held accountable for bad reputations. 















4 comments:

  1. Our view as a nation has not lokoed kindly on Law Enforcement in the past few years. I am anxious to see what media has done to the law enforcement. You are using media as a whole, but will you have a post focused on social media and the negativity it may be causing? I am also wondering how media would be help accountable for this slander (if it turns out it is)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    I found your first blog post interesting because not many people appreciate police, especially in this generation. I like the questions you raise about media influencing the population opinion, not to mention the fact that a large percentage of the world uses some sort of media daily. I hope that as your posts develop you include how poor officer behavior affects the negative image of law enforcement. I agree that everyone makes their own actions but what could police forces do to avoid these things? How can these actions/ thoughts that an officer may have be curbed to protect potentially innocent people?I disagree that only forms of media create a negative image. Like they say "people dig their own hole" and that is very true. These officers take action in their own hands, no one is making them do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew,
    I do agree with you that the media is to blame for the negative outlook on police officers. It seems to be human nature for people to remember the bad and look over the good. The media will paint a picture based on a bias opinion of a situation. I think people are too quick to believe the media and side with them. They should put themselves in an officers shoes and see the world from their stand point. If your life and the public's life was on the line, what would you do? Nine times out of ten you would do the same as the officer. I don't think officers get the respect they deserve. They willingly put our lives on the line to keep the public safe. My great grandpa was an officer and got his fingers shot off, stopping a burglary. The media's main point is to get ratings and dramatic bias stories seem to get them just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.What did you find interesting about the response? I find this topic pretty interesting because I think this is currently an issue in todays world. I am super excited to continue reading your blog.
    2.What would you add to this post? OR What questions does this post generate for you about the topic? For me this makes one important question, Does law enforcement abuse the power that they are given.
    3. What do you agree OR disagree with and why? For me I think the media exaggerates almost everything that they talk about. With this being said there are things i agree and disagree with that the media talks bout for me sometimes i feel that law enforcement can abuse their power, not all but many.

    ReplyDelete